Build Your Website
I consider myself almost technically incompetent. I mean, I really struggle with the technical aspects of anything. This should be good news to most students—it means that if I can do it, you can do it too. Not only that, it means that my explanations of how to do it will be simple enough that even I can follow it.
The place to start learning about Wix is at this link.
You can also find this page by going to the main page at www.Wix.com, clicking on the Support link at the top of the page (see the top red arrow), then clicking on the “Video tutorials for step-by-step help” link which is just above the video on the page (see the bottom red arrow).
As you’ll see on this Support page, there are a lot of videos and links you can click, but it’s not so overwhelming that you’ll get lost.
Here is the process I’ll ask you to go through before you ask me for help:
1. You will have watched all the video tutorials.
2. You will have tried to apply the instruction on your site.
3. You will watch the tutorials a second time.
4. You will try to apply the instruction a second time.
5. If you still don’t understand what to do, ask me. Be prepared to share your screen with me so that I can see clearly what you are trying to do.
My guess is that 90% of you won’t need my help. I have special empathy for the other 10% and you don’t need to feel bad if you are one of them.
I consider myself in that group and I’ve found that success most often comes by stubborn perseverance and an unwillingness to quit, and knowing when to ask for help. As a general guideline, do NOT spend more than one hour trying to accomplish one task as you build your Wix site.
For example, if you are trying to create a background image for your entire site and you can’t figure it out after one hour (you’ve watched the video tutorials, you’ve hunted around on your own site, etc.), then ask for help.
Often it’s a simple thing that you’re overlooking. You might bang your head and think, “Why didn’t I see that?”, but that’s okay. That’s a normal part of the process. We all have those moments. My students are always teaching me new things and I’m always learning too.
Your Assignment is as follows:
Using your plan as a guide, build your site on Wix. Consider this as Phase 1. We have many other things to consider that may necessitate changes to your site as we go along.
However, you can begin with the preliminary build. When you are finished this phase, inform your teacher and he/she will review your site with you.
I was introduced to Wix by some of my previous Internet Marketing students. At the time I was teaching website development with Wordpress and many of my students had trouble understanding it. When I saw the result of their Wix sites, I was really impressed. I ended up building most of my sites using Wix, including my latest: www.MyProfitBrain.com. The planning of my site took me 30+ hours. The actual construction of the site was about 10 to 15 hours.
Building a site using Wix is just like swimming in a cold lake. Sometimes you just have to jump in. As your teacher, I’m here to help you, but first you have to do the jumping. You have to swim around for a while, and then, if you’re really stuck, you can come to me for help.