Section 7: Social Media
While the social media world opens up many outstanding opportunities, there are also traps or pitfalls that you will want to avoid. Please keep these in mind as you go forward.
1. Be selective.
2. Don't fall into the trap of "friending" or "following" someone just because you know them elsewhere online.
3. Don't fall into the trap of "friending" or "following" someone just because they ask you to.
4. Do be aware that stalkers hang out on social media. Be very careful when you engage with strangers on social media. Don’t share your personal details with strangers. If in doubt, show your string of conversation that you’ve had with a stranger to your parent, guardian, or teacher. Trust in their good judgment.
5. Never, ever post article links because you have nothing else to say: Post them because you know it's something your followers will really appreciate.
Avoid These Eight Mistakes:
1. Posting comments that don't add value... or worse – that make you sound like a 14-year-old. ("OMG!", "LOL")
2. Not including a call to action at every (natural) opportunity
3. Not ensuring you've put “share” badges and chiclets everywhere on the net where you post content
4. "Disappearing" from your chosen social network for days (or weeks... or months) at a time
5. Reappearing, and acting as if the world is falling all over you, waiting to hear your explanations
6. Focusing on your own needs, rather than really listening to your followers and friends
7. Forgetting it's all about building a community -- and staying to participate
8. Not tracking your results